Service Objective: Understanding the place of determination and discipline in destiny fulfilment.
WHAT IS DISCIPLINE?
1. Discipline is doing what is required to arrive at what is desired.” Bishop David Oyedepo.
2. Discipline is focusing on the profitable instead of the unprofitable, though legitimate means.
3. Discipline is bearing pain in the present in order to create gain in the future.
4. Discipline is delaying gratification today in order to enjoy satisfaction tomorrow.
5. Discipline is capacity to say NO to wrong without regrets, and with full dignity.
6. Discipline is being hard on self so that life can be easy on you.
7. Discipline is having life under firm control, order and rule. Not a life out of order. Self-supervision.
SCRIPTURAL EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE WITH DISCIPLINE:
1. Joseph (Gen. 39:7-9)
2. David (1 Sam. 16:11)
3. Paul the Apostle (1Cor. 9:24-27 GNT)
WHAT IS DETERMINATION?
1. Determination is resoluteness, will power or strength of will, especially in the pursuit of worthy objectives.
2. Determination refers to a sense of purpose, firmness of purpose, fixity of purpose or purposefulness generally.
3. Determination refers to a state of intentness, decidedness, and steadfastness.
4. Determination is perseverance, persistence, tenacity, tenaciousness, indefatigability.
5. Determination is staying power, strong-mindedness, backbone, the bulldog spirit, pertinacious-ness.
6. Determination reflects in a positive stubborness, doggedness, obstinacy, obdurateness, inflexibility (all in the positive sense)
7. Determination is spiritedness, bravery, boldness, courageiousness, stout-heartedness, a fighting spirit.
SCRIPTURAL EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE WITH DETERMINATION:
a. Joshua and Caleb (Numbers 13:31-33, 14:6-8, 26-30)
b. David (1sam. 17:32-37)
c. Ruth (Ruth 1:16)
THE POWER OF DETERMINATION:
1. Determination releases the strength to surmount opposition.
2. Determination sustains positive action and positive actions when repeated establish positive outcomes.
3. Determination affects discretion. Nothing opens up the way like the will.
4. Determination attracts Divine Assistance.
5. Determination guarantees destination. No matter how long the journey is, if you keep moving without stopping on the way, you must reach the end.
KEYS TO DETERMINATION AND DISCIPLINE:
1. Focus on life’s vision and purpose. Hab. 2:1-3
2. Strength from Scriptural promises and provision. Jer. 29:11
3. Association with determined and disciplined people. Prov. 27:17